What is a mission? Mission is a process of finding a problem and obtaining a solution. A mission is about solving a problem or multiple problems today. The mission focuses on the everyday operation because its whole purpose is to solve a problem. If we have a problem today, we must have a mission for it. In other words, if we have a mission we have a solution. A clear mission generates a clear strategy. A clear strategy sets the pace, phases, and productivity for all the company. Your productivity is correlated with your mission, organizational culture, products, and customer services with the extra variable of the outside elements (Ex.: a new government regulation).
Remember every first step sets the foundation for the last step in front of a client. Therefore, don’t neglect the first step to set up the right mission for your organization, otherwise, you will find yourselves asking, “Why are we doing this?” You must love each step on the way and your team will fall in love with you company as well.
“Customers will never love a company until the employees love it first.” -Simon Sinek.
Examples of great mission statements:
- Google: “Google’s mission is to organize the world͛s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
- Amazon: “To be Earth’s most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online.”
- Nike: “To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world. If you have a body, you are an athlete.”
- Ford: “We go further to make our cars better, our employees happier and our planet a better place to be.”
- Starbucks: “To inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.”
- It is too long
- It is too small
- It is not specific.
- It is not engaging
- One line
- Must be solving a problem
- Be specific with the solution
- Be inspirational
The most important step is to take time to get inspired by the solution. Writing the best mission statement possible is the first step, but it will influence every step of your journey. I hope you get to make the world a better place.
Go for it!
Darwin A. Lopez
Coach, Speaker, Trainer on Leadership, & Entrepreneurship.
President of Leaders Lead Enterprises, LLC.